Friday, March 29, 2013

Good Friday

"He had no form or majesty that we should look at Him,
and no beauty that we should desire Him.
He was despised and rejected by men;
a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief;
and as one from whom men hide their faces
He was despised, and we esteemed Him not." 

At one time or another, we've all felt like crying out words like these to God like our Lord did, and God invites us to do just that. But we must always remember that although our pain is severe, we will never feel like pain like our Lord as we remember Him on Good Friday. God has never and will never forsake us because on the first Good Friday, this sacrifice won His love for us. Go to church and witness the salvation of the world--your salvation, the salvation of those you love--and in these words, witness the beautiful and horrible pain of one perfect man who endured the unthinkable for us. This is from the psalm that comes before the one we all know so well, Psalm 22.

My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?
Why are You so far from saving me?
From the words of my groaning?
O my God, I cry by day, but You do not answer!
And by night, but I find no rest!

I am a worm and not a man,
scorned by mankind,
despised by the people.
All who see me mock me.
They make mouths at me.
They wag their heads:
"He trusts in the LORD!
Let Him deliver him!
Let Him rescue him, for he delights in Him!"

Yet You are He who took me from the womb.
You made me trust You at my mother’s breasts.
On You was I cast from my birth,
and from my mother’s womb You have been my God.

Be not far from me,
for trouble is near,
and there is none to help.

I am poured out like water,
and all my bones are out of joint.
My heart is like wax.
It is melted within my breast.
My strength is dried up like a potsherd,
and my tongue sticks to my jaws.
You lay me in the dust of death.
They divide my garments among them.

Yet they shall come and proclaim His righteousness
to a people yet unborn,
that He has done it.

AMEN.

***Please join your church tonight
and hear the proclamation that He has done it,
because the “people yet unborn” means you.***

Click here to find a church near you.
The Crucifixion of Christ
Domenico Tintoretto, 1568

No comments:

Post a Comment