Monday, January 27, 2014

Things We Don't Need to Carry in Our Hearts

...because Jesus carried them to the cross.

"Golgatha" 1900
Edvard Munch
"SINCE therefore the children share in FLESH & BLOOD, He Himself LIKEWISE partook of the same things...
 that through DEAtH He might
> destroy <
the one who has the power of death
that is, the DEViL...
and deliver all those who through FEAR of DEATH were subject to LIFELONG SLAVERYFOR surely it is NOT ANGELS that He helps, but He helps the offspring of Abraham. >>>Therefore He had to be made like his brothers in every respect<<< so that He might become a merciful & faithful high priest in the service of God, to make PROPiTiATION for the SINS of the people. For because He Himself has SUFFERED when tempted, He is able to help those who are being tempted." (Hebrews 2:14-18)

I have a hard time letting go of control. I suppose I'm what some would call a "Type A" personality. I read somewhere a long, long time ago, probably in a Psychology text book in college, that people who are clinically depressed have a more accurate assessment of the control they have over things like their bodies, their families, their kids, their wealth, their future... And it depresses them. Reality depresses us. "Healthy" people are (at least slightly) deluded.

OK whatever. I should, at the very least, be able to control my own body, right? Right? RIGHT??

Oh so very wrong. And that fact bothers me to no end because I get it stuck in my head that if only I could control my body, then I could control everything else, too. And just when I think I've given up the fight and "owned" my... self (I guess), something snaps in my brain and I'm up all night lamenting the fact that I can't work, that I can't get on the floor and play with my kid, that I can't make it to church every week, that I need medication, that I'm in pain all the time, that there is NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT IT

Come on, I do not need things to be perfect, but I would like them to be bearable.

Reality is depressing. But take a deep breath. Christ had absolute control, and He allowed chaos to consume Him. He could have smote the lot crucifying Him, saved Himself and established a New Kingdom right then and there, sending all who didn't march in line to the lake of fire and making the world a perfect place. He didn't. He didn't defeat evil with might. He defeated it with weakness. He submitted to it. He allowed it to consume Him,
He who did not deserve to be consumed, for the sake of those who did.

So, swallow hard, lift your head up and heave a heavy sigh. Give up some responsibility and fight the good fight, not the meaningless one. It's not you against the world: it's Christ against the world for you. He owned that chaos all right, now follow His lead and do the same. Whenever you feel bogged down by things you don't need to carry in your heart, set them down at the foot of the cross. That's where they all ended up anyway.

Suggested verse to repeat if it's a difficult day comes from Psalm 84:3a
PRC buddies, remember to breathe!
"Even the sparrow -------> 5 count inhale
finds a home." -------> 5 count exhale

No comments:

Post a Comment