Monday, December 17, 2012

So the Last Will Be First


“Said the shepherd boy to the mighty king,
Do you know what I know?
In your palace wall, mighty king?
Do you know what I know?
A Child, a Child,

shivers in the cold.
Let us bring Him silver and gold.”
“Do You Hear What I Hear?”
by Noel Regney and Gloria Shayne
New York City, 1962


A shepherd boy teaching a king about salvation? That's a constant theme in Christianity: David defeating Goliath, the Israelites overtaking Jericho, Isaac and Ishmael, Jacob and Esau, Jesus of Nazareth the Messiah, me a child of God. Wow. The last really will be first. I guess I can hang out here in last place for a little while longer.

A few lowly shepherds were among the first people in world to hear about Jesus' birth, the birth of the Savior of the World. They weren't rich, and they weren't powerful. Regardless of race, gender, social status, power, wealth, heritage, culture, shortcomings, illnesses, disabilities, and even sins, God loves each and every one of us exactly same because Jesus died the exact same death for all of us.

Am I not allowed to do what I choose
with what belongs to me?
Or do you begrudge my generosity?
So the last will be first, and the first last.”
Matthew 20:15-16

Nicolaes Claes Pietersz Berchem
"The Annunciation to the Shepherds"
17th century, Netherlands

* Click here to read a heartfelt and thought-provoking article
"I Am Adam Lanza's Mother."

No comments:

Post a Comment